skip to the main content area of this page
Missoula City-County Health Department
(406) 258-4755
Missoula County Seal and image of areas around the City.

Missoula County - [Department Name]

Health Division: Environmental Health
Missoula County Home

Environmental Health

Septic Permits - Individual On-Site Septic Systems

How do I request a drawing of my septic system?

email us:  Request for Septic Permit Drawing


How to Apply for a Septic Permit

  1. Read our document "Property Owner's Guide to getting a Septic System Permit". If you are still usure whether you have DEQ sanitation approval or need a site evaluation, call our office to talk with a Land Sanitarian about your parcel before proceeding.
  2. Download the Septic and Well Permit Application or pick one up at our office located at 301 W Alder, Second Floor (Health Dept).
  3. Submit the completed application to the In Land Sanitarian at our office. Your completed application must include:
    • $100 Application Fee;
    • Site Plan (no larger than 11"x17") (no aerial photos);
    • Floor Plans for all structures on the parcel (no larger than 11"x17");
    • Applicable supporting documents, such as easement records, or maintenance contracts for advanced systems;
  4.  A Sanitarian will call you when the permit is finished and ready to be issued.
  5. A separate Permit Fee will be due upon issuance of the permit. See the fee schedule for septic permit fees. 
  6. Questions? Call our office at 406.258.4755.


Please note the following excerpts from Regulation 1 of the Missoula City-County Health Department Health Code:

Get Adobe Reader Please note some documents are in "Portable Document Format" and requires Adobe Acrobat Reader to view.   If you do not have this viewer, visit

Site Navigation

Health Divisions

More Information:

Search Health Sites