Environmental Health: Water Services
About the Water Lab
We want to acquaint you with our State Certified Water Laboratory. Missoula City-County Health Department Water Lab is located at 301 W. Alder. We do bacteriological water analysis to test water for contamination. Primarily, we serve the area Public Water Supplies, offering total coliform analysis. Public Water Supplies must take samples of their drinking water for analysis and report results monthly to the state.
Our lab also tests well water samples for the general public. Household wells should be tested annually for total coliform bacteria (from human and animal wastes). Well water should be tested for contamination before it is used for drinking.
DO I NEED TO TEST MY WATER? - YES!
- If you own your own drinking water well or spring infiltration system
- If you notice changes in color, odor, or taste
- If your water supply is near surface water
- If your well is new or has never been tested
- If the plumbing has been repaired or replaced
- If the well head has been flooded
For information about our lab costs, see the Lab News link.
The Montana State Environmental Lab is set up to run many tests: it can do chemical and metal screening, as well as biological and hardness testing for water.
State Certified Water Laboratory
- Located at 301 W. Alder St. on the second floor in Environmental Health
- Conducts bacteriological water analysis
- Total Coliform
- Heterotrophic plate counts
- Certified for both Public Water Suppliers and private well owners
Well water should be tested for contamination before it is used for drinking.
Please note some documents are in "Portable Document Format" and requires Adobe Acrobat Reader to view. If you do not have this viewer, visit Adobe.com.