skip to the main content area of this page
Missoula City-County Health Department
(406) 258-4755
Missoula County Seal and image of areas around the City.

Missoula County - [Department Name]

Health Division: Environmental Health
Missoula County Home

Environmental Health: Public Water Supplies

A water system that has at least 15 service connections or that regularly serves at least 25 persons daily for any 60 or more days in a calendar year is regulated as a public water supply by the Montana Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ).  For example, schools, restaurants, motels, convenience stores, larger trailer courts, churches and the like are public water supplies.

 Plans and specifications for public water supply wells must be approved, as well as plans for construction, alteration or extensions of any water system or treatment facilities. Operators in charge of community public water supplies and non-transient non-community public water supplies must be certified by the DEQ.

Water supply systems for food and lodging establishments that do not serve 15 or more service connections or 25 or more people for any 60 or more days in a calendar year are regulated by the Montana Department of Public Health and Human Services.
Water haulers who are not public water supplies fall into this category and must license as a Food Service Establishment.

Get Adobe Reader Please note some documents are in "Portable Document Format" and requires Adobe Acrobat Reader to view.   If you do not have this viewer, visit

Site Navigation

Health Divisions

More Information:

Search Health Sites