- Health Dept. emergency info
- Public health hazards
- Other hazardous conditions and preparing for them (fire, flood, earthquakes, weather, winter conditions).
- Individual and family preparedness
- Organization and agency preparedness
- Local emergency management
- State emergency management
- Federal emergency management
- Local contact information
Health Department emergency information
The Missoula Health Dept. Home Page identifies public health issues of current interest or concern in the Hot Topics box at the top of the page. You will also find links to information regarding any nation-wide or world-wide outbreak of a previously unidentified influenza or other disease, current information regarding effects in Missoula and Montana, and prevention and treatment options.
- Air Quality – Current Status
- Air Quality – Carbon Monoxide. Indoor air pollutants can cause respiratory diseases, or aggravate other health conditions. Carbon monoxide pollution can cause brain damage or death.
- Food Safety - Inspections of Food Establishments
- Food Safety - During and following emergencies
- Food Borne Illness
- Food Safety Blog
- Hazardous Waste Disposal
- Infectious Disease of the Moment
- Infectious Disease Fact Sheets
- Land – Sewage Contamination
- Water Testing
Emergency Evacuation List - the most important things to grab on your way out the door in a hurry.
FIRE - Wildfires can affect Montana's landscape, air quality, wildlife, agriculture, tourism and recreation.
- Wildfire Evacuation Checklist
- Montana Fire Conditions
- Fireproofing you home
- Reduce wildfire risks on your property - US Forest Service, Firewise
- Judging risks from wildfire smoke
FLOODS - In the Missoula Valley, floods are usually fairly localized along creeks and rivers during the spring.
- Missoula Emergency Management Flood Warnings
- The Missoula Office of Planning and Grants has flood plain maps that identify areas vulnerable to flooding. If you have concerns during a flood situation call the Missoula Office of Planning and Grants, 258-4841.
- National Weather Service - Missoula watches, warnings and alerts
- Montana watches, warnings and alerts
EARTHQUAKES - Montana has a history of large
earthquakes and remains seismically active.
- Earthquake Studies Office, Montana Bureau of Mines and Geology. Includes information on recent earthquakes and seismographs.
- National Weather Service Office, Missoula - Information on current hazards (warnings), current conditions, forecasts, climate and weather safety.
- Winter Driving Preparations
- Preparing for winter driving - Washington State
- Safe winter driving tips - OSHA
- Montana Road Report - Mt. Dept. of Transportation
- Montana web cams - get a real-time view of conditions in various towns or roadways.
- Montana Winter Injury Report - 2012 - causes and prevention strategies
How to prepare for any emergency
- Prepare Your Home and Family - American Red Cross
- Ready.gov - Prepare, Plan, Stay Informed
- FEMA - Plan and Prepare
- Preparing for Disaster for People with Disabilities and Special Needs
- Neighbor-to-Neighbor Emergency Plan - Missoula Aging Services
Preparing your PETS for an emergency
- Ready Pet Guide
- Pets & Disasters - CDC
- Making a Pet Disaster Plan - Humane Society of the U.S.
- Making a Pet Emergency Kit: Iowa Humane Society and Animal Rescue Foundation
- Disaster preparedness for horses - Humane Society of the U.S.
Disaster preparedness for livestock - Humane Society of the U.S.
Many resources can be found by searching the internet. Make sure any references you use are reputable, such as those ending in .gov, .edu, .org, etc.
CHILD CARE - Emergency planning guide for child care - State of Illinios
HOSPITALS - CDC Emergency preparedness and response
CHURCHES - Faith-based community disease prevention
Manages plans and programs directed at disaster preparedness and coordination of response and recovery for Missoula County.
State emergency management
Montana Dept. of Public Health and Humans Services, Public Health & Safety Division - oversees the coordination of the public health system in Montana.
Information on State emergency preparedness plans, state hazards, and preparedness.
Federal emergency management
Public health emergency preparedness - US Dept Health
Local contact information
Public Health Emergency Preparedness Coordinator - Linda Noson, 258-3883.
Missoula County Disaster and Emergency Services Director -
Chris Lounsbury, 258-4469
Please note some documents are in "Portable Document Format" and requires Adobe Acrobat Reader to view. If you do not have this viewer, visit Adobe.com.