Why concern yourself with employee wellness?
- Improved productivity
- Less turnover
- Reduced sick days
- Reduced health care costs, and more.
A Health Department program started in 2002 to improve health by promoting physical activity and healthier food choices for all Missoula County residents.
Physical Activity - Missoula
- financial coverage of all or part of health club membership
- breaks, flex time or paid activity time
- wellness program
- support of alternate work transportation
- dress code that allows physical activity
- on-site instructor/video led group classes
- equipment & instruction to promote physical activity
- mapping safe walking routes & activity areas
- increase safety and attractiveness of stairs
- showers/changing facilities
- outdoor exercise areas near work
- health club access with financial backing
- buddy systems and/or team challenges
- management modeling of walking
- bike racks
- walk & talk meetings
- peer role modeling
- incentives for:
- post stair use prompt by elevators
- physical activity education
- post community physical activities at work
- activity team challenges
- after work recreation and work team leagues
onsite and work hour activities
using health clubs
Studies show that exclusive breastfeeding for the first 6 months of life results in a significant overall reduced risk of overweight, from infancy through adulthood.
Breastfeeding - Missoula Eat Smart
How to become a breastfeeding friendly business - accommodate customers
How to be a breastfeeding friendly employer - to accommodate employees
Good nutrition comes from a diet that includes lots of fruits, vegetables and whole grains, and is low in processed foods, refined sugars or fats. Rewarding employees with donuts, or stocking vending machines with candy bars does not support good nutrition or re-enforce healthy eating habits.
Overweight and obesity concerns - Missoula
Cheap and healthy brown bag lunches for grown-ups - WebMD
There are many other web sites that discuss healthy lunches to take to work.
Comprehensive Cancer Screening - Missoula
- Smoking Cessation in the Work Place - a Canadian initiative
Employers Tool Box for Building a Cessation Program - Occupational Safety & Health
Tobacco Use Reduction - how to help employees successfully quit, Indoor Air requirements.
These sites have information on the effects of a suicide on co-workers:
- QPR - Suicide prevention training - Do you have an employee you are worried about?
- Traffic Injury Reduction - Network of Employers for Traffic Safety
- Responsible Alcohol Sales and Service Training
- Healthy Living - CDC - Pages on maintaining a healthy weight, preventing diabetes, nutrition, etc.
- Emergency Preparedness - Help to prepare your employees to deal with natural disasters, threatening public, or emergencies while at work.
- Wellness Councils of America - Promoting wellness in the workplace
- It Starts With Me - Health calculators and screening information
- Advantages of worksite wellness programs - American Heart Association
- Healthy Arkansas Worksite Wellness
- Oregon Health Services Worksites
- Wisconsin Division of Public Health - Physical Activity - has a worksite wellness kit
- Iowans Fit For Life
- Colorado Worksite Resource Kit
- Alaska Worksite Website
- Benefits of Healthy Lifestyle Choices
- Directory of drug treatment centers in Montana
Physical activity - Mary McCourt - 258-3686
Health screenings - Diana Reetz-Stacey - 258-3684
Tobacco issues - Erica Rollins - 258-3685
Suicide prevention -
Nutrition - Rebecca Morley - 258-3827
Please note some documents are in "Portable Document Format" and requires Adobe Acrobat Reader to view. If you do not have this viewer, visit Adobe.com.post stair use prompts by elevators