skip to the main content area of this page
Missoula City-County Health Department
(406) 258-4781
Missoula County Seal and image of areas around the City.

Environmental Health Division: Air Quality - Current Issues

Environmental Health Division: Air Quality
Missoula County Home

Air Quality - Public Notices

Outdoor Burning

The Missoula County burning season is closed until March 1st.

All burns require a permit.  You can obtain a permit online at or from most fire protection agencies.  Permits cost $5.

Before lighting your fire you must activate your permit on the day you wish to burn by visiting or callin 888-583-6497. The activation process will notify you of any restrictions in your area. 

Please call the department at 258-4755 if you have questions about what may be burned and when.

Permit Application

The Lolo National Forest, Missoula, Ninemile and Seeley Lake Ranger Districts has applied for a permit to conduct prescribed wildland burning in Missoula County.  The public is invited to comment on the application, which is available for review at the Health Department or online here.  All comments must be received by the Health Department by 5 p.m. on February 17, 2015.  Comments must be in writing and can be either mailed to 301 W. Alder, Missoula, MT   59802, emailed to, or faxed to (406) 258-4781.

Upcoming Meetings

The Air Quality Advisory Council meets on the first Tuesday of each month at 6:30 p.m. The Air Pollution Control Board meets the third Thursday of each month at 12:15. Both groups meet in room 210 of the Health Department at 301 West Alder in downtown Missoula.

Legal Notices

None at this time.

Variance Requests

There are no variance requests at this time.

Site Navigation

Health Divisions


Advisory Councils

More Information

Search Health Sites