Building Division - Home
Missoula County Building Division
The Missoula County Building Division is located at 6089 Training Drive - approximately 1 ½ miles west of the Airport off of Hwy 10. Normal business hours are Monday through Friday from 7:00 am to 4:00 pm (Except holidays -- 2015 Schedule). The building division also has a satellite office located in Seeley Lake.
Missoula County Public Works – Building Division will be upgrading our permitting software system from SIRE to the new Odyssey program, effective August 2015. Odyssey will be more user-friendly and will continue to offer online permitting. It will feature upgrades including online payments, easier navigation, auto-fill capabilities, and will be compatible with all search engines.
As part of this software change, we will be implementing the same credit/debit card usage fee that was adopted by Missoula County in 2012.
More information, as well as directions on how to use Odyssey, will be made available to the public soon. For the latest details, please check out our website, as well as our FaceBook and Twitter pages!
CODE CHANGES EFFECTIVE FEBRUARY 1, 2015
Please note that Missoula County is adopting the following codes:
2012 International Residential Code
2012 International Building Code
2012 International Energy Conservation Code
2012 International Mechanical Code
2012 International Fuel Gas Code
2012 International Existing Building Code
2012 Uniform Plumbing Code
2014 National Electrical Code
Inspection Requirements & Flashing Details
The Montana Chapter of the ICC will hold a class in Bozeman in March to go over all of the changes. If you would like more information, please contact Steve Hutchings.
COMMERCIAL CONSTRUCTION: If you will be submitting plans for a commercial project, please contact us to schedule a meeting with our Building Official or Plans Examiner prior to submittal.
- General Building Permit Application Requirements
- Building Fee Schedule
- All Building Permit Forms
- MC Woodstove & Fireplace Home Page
APPLY FOR PERMITS ONLINE!
SIRE is designed to use on an Internet Explorer browser with pop-ups enabled. Instructions for SIRE citizen use.
Or click on the links below for a paper application:
- Building Permit Application
- Electrical Permit Application
- Plumbing Permit Application
- Mechanical Permit Application
Understanding the Permitting Process
When applying for construction permits in Missoula County, it's recommended that you first visit each of the following three divisions for department-specific information and requirements regarding the details of your project. If you have questions or would like help with this recommendation, you may call 258-3702 for assistance. **You may also click here to view the residential construction flowchart.**
- BUILDING - located at 6089 Training Dr 258-3701
The Building Division reviews construction plans to ensure they comply with current building codes adopted by the State of Montana. The Building Division also starts most Missoula County permits including building, electrical, mechanical, plumbing, land use/zoning compliance, address/approach, and excavation.
- CAPS - located at 323 W Alder 258-4642
The Community and Planning Services division reviews land use and zoning compliance permits for land issues, subdivision compliance, flood plain/shoreline, sign permits that do not require a building permit, and fire safety.
- HEALTH - located at 301 W Alder 258-4990
The Missoula City/County Health Department administers and reviews well and septic permits to ensure they comply with current MDEQ (Montana Department of Environmental Quality) adopted codes. They also regulate and license commercial kitchens.
Permit Exemption List
- ONE STORY DETACHED ACCESSORY STRUCTURES
- KIT AND PRE-FABRICATED BUILDINGS
- SIGN PERMIT REQUIREMENTS
- 2012 International Building Code
- 2012 International Residential Code
- 2014 National Electric Code
- 2012 Uniform Plumbing Code
- 2012 International Mechanical Code
- 2012 International Fuel Gas Code
- 2012 International Energy Conservation Code
- 2012 International Existing Building Code
- The address of the location where the work will occur.
- Property owner information including their address and phone number.
- Contractor information to include address and phone number. If the work is electrical or plumbing and subject to Montana licensure laws, include your license number.
- An accurate description of the work that will occur.
Permitting Reports & Statistics
- Permit & Revenue Report FY 14 (coming soon)
- Permit & Revenue Report FY 13
- Permit & Revenue Report FY 12
Permit & Revenue Report FY 11
Archives (coming soon)
For information on Submittal Requirements and to Schedule Inspections
Contact the Building Department at
(406) 258-3701 or 258-3708