skip to the main content area of this page
Grants and Community Programs
(406) 258-4939
Missoula County Seal and image of areas around the City.

Missoula County - Office of Planning and Grants

Department: Grants and Community Programs
Missoula County Home

Crime Victim Advocate Office

Missoula TOP Forms

These forms are available to print and fill.  Please be sure to fill out each form completely to better serve clients.

Contact the CVA office with any questions at 830-3830


The Crime Victim Advocate (CVA) office is a program of the Office of Planning and Grants. The program is committed to providing free and confidential services to survivors of violent crime, including information, opportunities, advocacy, and support, especially in the civil criminal justice system processes.

We aspire to empower and assist survivors of crime in their recovery.

On behalf of victims, we act as liaisons between victims and a variety of justice system departments and personnel.

We advocate for victims' needs and wishes within the system and help victims determine which courses of action are best for them.

We recognize the impact crime has had on victims, and support the important role victims play in criminal justice processes.

We work to ensure victims are treated fairly and respectfully and provide services that lessen the impact of the crime and restore victims' losses.

We seek to remove all potential barriers (physical, psychological, cultural, etc.) to our services and the services of the criminal and civil justice systems.

What can Crime Victim Advocates Do?
Listen to you Tell you about Crime Victim Compensation and help you fill out the forms
Provide confidential services Inform you of community services available to you
Provide crisis counseling, emotional support and guidance Help you recover your property or receive restitution
Inform you of your rights Help you inform your employer if you have to miss work during a trial
Explain how the court process works Provide a secure place to wait during court proceedings
Find information for you about what is happening in your court case Assist you with your application for an Order of Protection if you are a victim of partner/family assault, sexual assault, rape, incest or stalking
Legal Advocacy Information and Referrals

In Missoula:

TOLL FREE: 1-866-921-6995
FAX: (406) 830-3838
OFFICE: 500 N Higgins, Suite 201
MAILING: 200 W. Broadway, Missoula, MT 59802

OFFICE HOURS: Monday through Friday (8:30 A.M. - 4:30 P.M.)


Whom to call for Assistance:
Resource (and link) Phone Number
Emergency 911
YWCA Crisis Hotline 542-1944
City Attorney 552-6020
County Attorney 258-4737
St. Patrick Hospital 543-7271
First STEP rape crisis center 329-5776
Community Hospital 728-4100
Child Abuse Help Line 866-820-KIDS (3437)
Montana Legal Services 543-8343
Child & Family Services 523-4100
First Call For Help 549-5555 or 211
Crime Victim Compensation 800-498-6455
Alcohol & Drug Services
Turning Point 532-9700
Missoula Indian Center 721-2700
SSTEP Program - Seeley/Swan 677-3177
Food & Clothing Services
Goodwill 549-6969
Missoula Food Bank 549-0543
Poverello Center 728-8526
Salvation Army 549-0710
Secret Seconds - YWCA 549-1610
Shelter & Housing Services
Poverello Center 728-8526
Missoula Housing Authority 549-4113
Salvation Army 549-0710
Human Resource Council 728-3710
YWCA Shelter 542-1944
WORD 593-3550

Back to Top

Frequently Asked Questions:

What is a Temporary Order of Protection?
A Temporary Order of Protection is a court order, signed by a judge, that prohibits someone from coming to your house or workplace. It can prohibit that person from having any direct or indirect contact with you.
Orders of protection are legal documents that offer victims of violent crime a measure of protection by setting limits on what an offender can legally do. Petitions for orders of protection can be filed in a justice, city, municipal or district court. The judge may order conditions he or she believes are necessary to protect a victim. Victims can ask the court for an order of protection that:
Before a judge will sign a Temporary Order of Protection (TOP) you must qualify for the Order and complete paperwork. You are the "Petitioner" (the person requesting the Order). The person who should obey the Order is the "Respondent." You may qualify for a TOP if you have a family or partner relationship with the offender and are a victim of Family or Partner Assault. You may qualify if you have no family or partner relationship with the offender, but are a victim of one of the following crimes by the offender, Stalking, Sexual Assault, Sexual Intercourse Without Consent, or Incest.
Orders of Protection are done at the Crime Victim Advocate's Office at 500 N Higgins, Suite 201. (Office Hours)
What is Domestic Violence?
Power and Control:
What is Stalking?
Stalking is the act or crime of willfully and repeatedly following or harassing another person. Stalking occurs in circumstances that seriously alarm, annoy, intimidate or causes a reasonable person to fear injury or death because of express or implied threats.
What is Sexual Assault?
Sexual assault is conduct of a sexual or indecent nature toward another person accompanied by actual or threatened physical force that induces fear, shame, or mental suffering. Sexual assault is sexual contact that is forced upon a person without consent or that is inflicted upon a person who is incapable of giving consent (because of age or physical or mental incapacity.)

Back to Top

The Missoula Crime Victims' Advocate Program is supported in part by Rural D.V. Grant No. 2000-X036-MT-WR, awarded by the STOP VAWA Office, Office of Justice Programs and VOCA Grants Nos. 00-V01-80396 and 00-V01-80401, awarded by the Victims of Crime Act Grant Office, Office of Justice programs, U.S. Department of Justice.

Site Navigation

Grants Divisions

More Information