skip to the main content area of this page
Justice Court
(406) 258-3470
Missoula County Seal and image of areas around the City.

Missoula County - Justice Court

Department: Justice Court
Missoula County Home

Justice Court - Tickets

General Information 

This desk handles traffic citations (written by the Missoula County Sheriff's Department and the Montana Highway Patrol), Fish and Game violations, Minors in Possession of Alcohol, Driving Under the Influence of Alcohol and/or Drugs first, second and third offenses, Habitual Traffic Offender Tickets and Animal Control citations.

Pursuant to Section 61-11-203 of the Montana Statutes, the following is a partial list of "points" assessed to the most common traffic offenses (these are subject to change as modified by Montana Statutes).

Description Amount of Points
DUI 10 Points
Driving with suspended/revoked license 6 Points
Driving without a valid license 2 Points
Reckless Driving 5 Points
Careless Driving 2 Points
No Insurance  5 Points
Speeding --
Day speed 10 miles per hour or less on Highway 93 No Points
Night speed 5 miles per hour or less on Highway 93 No Points
Other day/night speed violations 3 Points
No Seatbelt No Points
Stop Sign Violation 2 Points
Right of Way Violation 2 Points
Following too closely 2 Points

Anyone receiving a citation must contact the Court within 10 days to determine if the fine can be paid or if they are required to see a Judge.

Court Appearances

Court starts at 1:30 on a first come, first served basis for Justice Court I (Judge Andersen) on ODD numbered days (1st, 3rd, 5th, etc.) and for Justice Court II (Judge Orzech) on EVEN numbered days (2nd, 4th, 6th, etc.). Check in at the front desk after 1:00. It's a good idea to call ahead and make sure your ticket is actually in our Court. The date to appear on your ticket may not be the correct day. Court lasts until 2:30 when video arraignments from the jail begin.

What Happens

The Judge will read you your rights and then ask for a plea of either Guilty or Not-Guilty. If you plead Guilty, the Judge will allow you to make statements concerning the offense and then he will sentence you.

If you plead Not-Guilty, the Judge will ask you if you want a Jury or Non-Jury trial and then stop the proceedings and refer you to the clerk to set a trial date. In some cases, a Public Defender may be appointed to represent you.

Driving While Suspended/Revoked (MCA 61-5-212)

A person's privilege to drive may be suspended or revoked for many reasons. Two of the most common reasons are failure to make an initial appearance on a citation, or to fail to pay fines. A notice warning the Defendant of the pending suspension is mailed to their last known address. If the Defendant fails to comply with the warning, the suspension will be forwarded to Helena.

DUI's (MCA 61-8-401, 61-8-406)

Upon conviction of a DUI 1st, 2nd or 3rd offense, the Defendant will be required to attend the ACT program at their own expense. The Judge may recommend (1st offense ONLY) a probationary license but the defendant must be enrolled in the ACT program and have paid a $200 probationary license fee to Helena.

Minors in Possession of Alcohol (MIP)

For information visit our Minor's in Possession of Alcohol page.


For information visit our Tobacco violations page.

Site Navigation

More Information

Current Calendars (pdf)