and Planning Services:
Bonner Tax Increment Financing Industrial District
The Missoula County Board of County Commissioners approved the Bonner Mill Tax Increment Financing Industrial District (TIFID) on November 28, 2012. The TIFID became effective on December 28, 2012.
- Resolution No. 2012-200: A Resolution to Adopt Amendments to the Missoula County Growth Policy 2005 Update to Support Tax Increment Financing
- Finalized Full TIFID Packet
Bonner Mill Tax Increment Financing Industrial District (TIFID)
Missoula County Board of County Commissioners intends to establish a Tax Increment Financing Industrial District (TIFID) in Bonner, at the site of the former Stimson Lumber Mill, which encompasses approximately 148.52 acres and is located east of Highway 200, east and south of the Blackfoot River. The site is located in Sections 21 and 22, Township 13 North, Range 18 West, Missoula County, Montana.
However, in order to facilitate development, a variety of infrastructure deficiencies must addressed, including road conditions, water and sewer services, utilities and stormwater management. Tax Increment Financing (TIF) can be a key component in a comprehensive funding strategy to address these infrastructure deficiencies and will enable Missoula County to leverage other local, state and federal dollars to achieve its goals.
In order to be able to do tax increment financing, a growth policy amendment is needed to address deficiencies in the Missoula County Growth Policy because the current text does not adequately support the establishment of TIFs, there is insufficient information regarding economic development needs, and the current definition of TIF is incomplete.
The process for establishing the Bonner Mill Tax Increment Financing Industrial District will include the following steps:
- Missoula County must adopt TIF amendments to the Missoula County Growth Policy, which requires public hearings before the Missoula Consolidated Planning Board and Board of County Commissioners
- Planning Board must hold a public hearing and make a determination that the zoning of the proposed TIFID area is industrial in accordance with the Missoula County Growth Policy and that the TIFID Plan is in conformance with the Growth Policy
- Board of County Commissioners must create the Bonner Mill Tax Increment Financing Industrial District
The Planning Board held public hearings on items 1 and 2 on October 23, 2012, 7:00 p.m., City Council Chambers, 140 W. Pine, Missoula. See legal advertisement here.
The Board of County Commissioners held a public hearing on item 1 on November 14, 2012, 1:30 p.m. in the Missoula County Administration Building, 199 W Pine, Room B-14. See the legal advertisement here.
The Board of County Commissioners held public hearings on item 3 on November 14 and 28, 1:30 p.m. in the Missoula County Administration Building, 199 W Pine, Room B-14. See the legal advertisement here.
More detailed information about this project as it progresses will be posted below.
|November 14, 2012: Board of County Commissioners Public Hearing|
|October 23, 2012: Missoula Consolidated Planning Board Meeting|
Related Documents & Links:
- Proposed TIF Amendments to the Missoula County Growth Policy including the TIF Industrial District Plan
- Missoula Consolidated Planning Board Agenda for October 23, 2012
- Staff Report to Planning Board - Proposed TIF Amendments to the Missoula County Growth Policy
- Staff Report to Planning Board - Accordance of the zoning and conformance of the Bonner Mill TIF Industrial District Plan with the Missoula County Growth Policy
UPDATED January 23, 2013