Missoula Healthy Kids Indicators - 2020
The negative outcomes associated with unintended pregnancies are compounded for adolescents. Teen mothers:
- Are less likely to graduate from high school or attain a GED by the time they reach age 30.
- Earn an average of approximately $3,500 less per year, when compared with those who delay childbearing.
- Receive nearly twice as much Federal aid for nearly twice as long.
- Similarly, early fatherhood is associated with lower educational
attainment and lower income.
The average annual cost of teen childbearing to U.S. taxpayers is estimated at $7.3 billion, or $1,445 per teen mother each year for more than 15 years. The total costs to society are 4 times as large as the costs for taxpayers and are estimated at $5,502 per teen mother each year. Moreover, children of teen parents are more likely to have lower cognitive attainment and exhibit more behavior problems. Sons of teen mothers are more likely to be incarcerated, and daughters are more likely to become adolescent mothers. HP 2020
Children born as a result of an unintended pregnancy are more likely to experience poor mental and physical health during childhood and poor educational and behavioral outcomes. HP 2020
The younger a woman is and the lower her education level, the greater the chances she will have an unintended pregnancy. MT Maternal Child Health Needs Assessment 2010
- Additional data - US & MT pregnancy rate; Msla teen birth and abortion rate; barriers to preventing teen pregnancy; social impacts of teen parenting
Healthy People 2010 Goal:
Percent of girls grades 9–12 who abstain from sexual intercourse or use condoms:
Base - 85% Target - 95%
The US Dept of Health and
Human Services sponsors the
a science-based, 10-year national plan for improving the health of all Americans.
For Additional Data and Information important for evaluating this topic, click here.
- Teen pregnancy rate - Missoula and Montana
- Demographics of mothers with late pre-natal care - US
- Number of teen births and abortions - Missoula
- Social impacts of teen parenting